Head boss of Xbox, Phil Spencer, made a comment on the recent cancellation of one Xbox One and PC exclusive, “Scalebound.”
He posted his response to the cancellation on a Twitter post saying the decision was “difficult”, but he does believe it will be better overall for Xbox players. Spencer continued, showing faith in the games Microsoft has in its line-up for 2017. Below is the Tweet and Spencer’s response:
Difficult decision, we believe result is better 4 Xbox gamers, still disappointing. Im confident in 17 lineup thats our focus
— Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) January 9, 2017
The official announcement of Scalebound’s cancellation came yesterday January 9th, when Microsoft released a similar statement to Spencer’s:
“After careful deliberation, Microsoft Studios has come to the decision to end production for Scalebound,” a spokesperson said. “We’re working hard to deliver an amazing lineup of games to our fans this year, including Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, and other great experiences.”
Since it was announced, videos of Scalebound have been removed or become inaccessible from Xbox’s Youtube channel. Prior to the cancellation announcement, the Scalebound website page on Xbox had been removed; now if you visit it you get redirected to the main homepage.
The games developer, Platinum Games, has not said whether it will continue without support from Microsoft. Platinum is also releasing Nier: Automata, on March 7, on PS4 and PC later in 2017. There is currently a demo for the game, which you can grab for free, here.