Posted on Warner Brothers community page, Monolith (studio behind Middle-Earth) introduced Middle-Earth: Shadow of War’s Market. It’s an in-game store where players can purchase Loot Chests, War Chests, XP Boosts and Bundles. Players can also acquire Orcs through the Market, which is now part of their Nemesis System. Monolith explained:
“An important aspect of the Nemesis System now comes in forging, customizing and leading your own army of unique Orc followers against the fortresses of Mordor. There are different ways to do this, including dominating Orcs by exploring the vast open-world and encountering them as part of Orc society, or players can acquire Orcs and other items through the Market (in-game store).”
Monolith detailed what microtransactions they would be including, without the price of course:
- Loot Chests contain Gear (weapons and armor) of varying rarity. Equipping and upgrading these weapons and armor enhance Talion’s character abilities. Loot Chests can also contain XP Boosts
- War Chests provide Orc followers of varying rarity to help forge a strong army. They can also contain Training Orders to level up and customize Orc followers.
- XP Boosts
- Bundles package up Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts
They did explain that everything is purchasable with currency that you can earn in the game (Mirian) or the premium Gold currency that you can buy with real money. You can earn Mirian by:
- Defeating Treasure Orcs
- Destroying Gear for Mirian
- Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
- Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game
So no worries, you will be able to get access to loot, buying Gold just makes the progress through the game faster. They also mentioned there are no unique items in the Market for purchase with Gold, just what was stated earlier. Also, prices of Gold currency will be given at a “later date”.
Source: Warner Brothers