During the EA Play Live stream, EA and developer Ripple Effect announced Battlefield Portal for Battlefield 2042. It’s one of the better additions to Battlefield, especially in recent years.
Battlefield Portal is a new “community-driven platform” that allows players to create their own Battlefield experience. It features fan-favorite maps from Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3, with seven maps from Battlefield 2042 at launch. Using a “powerful creation suite,” players can create their own gametypes and mess with various settings. They can even use a logic editor to specifically tune elements they want. Progress and XP is shared between Portal and the game’s other modes.
Weapons, vehicles, and equipment from each of the games will be available to use in Battlefield Portal. This means you can essentially mix-and-match anything from these games; so you could have World War II soldiers fighting in the setting from Battlefield 2042.
“Battlefield Portal is truly a love letter to our passionate and long-time fans,” Ripple Effect’s Justin Wiebe stated. “We’ve created a set of tools that really gives the community the chance to create their own signature Battlefield experiences, while also bringing back these iconic Battlefield classics for our veteran players to revel in and our new players to experience for the first time.”
The six maps from the previous Battlefield titles that are featured in Portal cannot be edited.
You can check out rundown of what’s coming to Battlefield Portal, below. All descriptions are written by EA:
- Battle Of The Bulge (Battlefield 1942)
- El Alamein (Battlefield 1942)
- Arica Harbor (Battlefield: Bad Company 2)
- Valparaiso (Battlefield: Bad Company 2)
- Caspian Border (Battlefield 3)
- Noshahr Canals (Battlefield 3)
- 40+ Weapons from 3 Theaters of War
- M1 Garand, Panzerschreck, G3, M416 and more
- Plus the inclusion of Battlefield 2042’s All-Out Warfare Arsenal
- 40+ Vehicles from 3 Theaters of War
- The Spitfire and B17 Bomber make their return alongside modern hardware such as the Quad Bike and Little Bird
- Plus the inclusion of Battlefield 2042’s All-Out Warfare array of vehicles
- 30+ Gadgets from 3 Theaters of War
- Reconnaissance items such as the MAV and Radio Beacon will be available as gadget selections alongside the Defibrillator and EOD Bot
- Plus the inclusion of Battlefield 2042’s Gadgets
- Classic Factions will be making their return in Battlefield Portal as you remember them, allowing you the ability to mix and match between 7 different armies from the Classic titles as well as Battlefield 2042’s Specialists
- Armies such as 1942’s UK, US, and Germany as well as Bad Company 2’s US and Russia will feature exclusively in Battlefield Portal
- The return of Factions to Battlefield Portal, we will also mean that we are bringing back soldier archetypes as you know them to be within their relevant titles. As an example, Battlefield 3’s Assault, Engineer, Support and Recon roles make their return in Battlefield Portal
All new content that comes to Battlefield 2042 post-launch will also be heading to Portal as well. If you wish to know more about Battlefield Portal, you can check out DICE’s in-depth blog post to find out more.